Communications Manager - Climate Action, Social Inequality and Corporate Accountability
This position is within an innovative NGO working at the cutting edge of corporate accountability, climate action and inequality initiatives in South Africa and will be filled by an enterprising, enthusiastic communications specialist to manage all strategic communications and grow the digital media presence. The organisation will consider either a permanent employee or a long-term consulting agreement.
The Communications Manager will work with the team in developing and implementing the strategic communication strategy (including social and digital media), managing relationships with the media, overseeing the online presence and monitoring impact and effectiveness.
· Leading the organisation's strategic communications strategy and ensuring the ongoing effective positioning and promotion of all work and impact.
· Media relations including planning, drafting, and reviewing media releases for distribution; maintaining excellent relationships with journalists; media liaison to secure / respond to requests for interviews; monitoring media coverage; and placing opinion editorials.
· Maintaining media databases, preparing monthly reports summarising time spent and outcomes achieved, and proposing monthly communications plans.
· Preparing and presenting media relations reports to the board and funders.
· Designing and delivering a comprehensive social media strategy, and managing all social media platforms including developing, scheduling, and publishing high-quality content, community management and analysing online commentary.
· Monitoring and evaluating the impact of social media communications and providing learning and insights into improvements.
· Managing and maintaining website content, image library, organisational templates, and other digital assets, and ensuring correct use both within and outside the organisation.
· Supporting the training and development of all staff in interacting with the media.
· Monitoring and informing colleagues of relevant news and media opportunities.
· Working collaboratively with partner organisations and suppliers to ensure that all materials align with brand guidelines and convey a consistent message.
· Ensuring accuracy and clarity in all published materials.
Required skills and experience
· A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or a related field, and at least five years’ proven experience in communications management.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with an ability to quickly grasp complex issues and identify and communicate effectively with target audiences.
· Creative and strategic thinker with the ability to generate engaging content.
· Strong organisational and time management skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively and flexibly under pressure and to tight deadlines.
· Proficiency in the use of MS Office. Knowledge of WordPress, all social media tools such as Instagram, and/or proficiency in basic graphic design tools would be a plus.
· A passion for activism, and familiarity with / experience of social justice campaigning.
· A team player with emotional intelligence and a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and open communication.